California to Kennewick.

California to Kennewick.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

First email from the mission field - June 9 2014

So, I'm in the field!!!! BAH! I have sooo much to say! lol
so last friday we had infield orientation in the MTC and one of the teachers is Elder Christiansen from The District! I was star stuck! LOL
We left the MTC on tuesday, as we were walking to the travel office with out suitcases to other missionaries were all congratulating us on getting out! LOL like we were in jail or something! haha it was funny. I love the mtc but it was nice to see the outside world again. they took us on a mus to a train, then from the train we got on a bart thing to the airport, it was insane with all our suitcases. but we felt like celebrities walking around SLC with our badges! haha
Then we got on the tiniest plane ever and i was freaking out on the inside lol, when we got there we met President & Sister Ware then went to the mission home from dinner and a devotional. The sisters got to sleep there and then wqe had interviews with Pres. I LOVE HIM!!! He is sooooo stinking sweet and gave me some unusual council to not work too hard...hahaha he said he doesnt say that much be he can feel how much I care and doesnt want me to get too worn out lol. He does this cute thing were he lifts his shoulder and does an old man giggle lol i love it.
the next day we had training, it was great! then him and the assistants went and made our assignments. It felt like waiting for my mission call over again!! lol
I'm assigned in the Richland Zone, Columbia Ward with my trainer Sister Pugh.. It a walking area which makes my feet angry lol but I'm pushing thru and often recite the saying "Father proceeds miracles" when i'm having a hard time. Faith is trusting in him and acting, so I'm working hard to see the miracles that I know will come. She also has a hurt knee, so we are quite the pair! haha
Our area is very poor, with a few exceptions, and everyone, i mean everyone has custody drama, legal issues and/or drug issues. Its intense and hard to see. I have lots of work to do! I love the people so much!
The houses here are call "A" and "B" houses and they were built during WWII while they were doing all that nuclear stuff over here and everything looks really old. I often feel like I've transported back to the 40's/50's until ya know. I see the meth heads and what not. Kinda kills it. lol.
On my second day I was having a really hard time and feel pretty trunky, but while we were doing our planning before bed 2 sisters from the ward brought us gift baskets! so sweet and helped so much! A little tender mercy!
We also had a super cool training with our area 70 and the 2nd counselor in the YM's General Presidency about real intent and going forward in faith
There is a couple in our Ward, an RM Sister and her new membr husband....they are interesting and sister pugh was telling me about the,...heres all you really need to know
Sis. P: "So yea...they met on bigbeautifulwomen.com
"
so yeahh LOL
Next door to us are a cute member family, the Craigos, they are 30ish and have a 2 yr old son and I love them soooo much!!!! They always drop stuff of for us and are just sooo sweet! and sister craigo gave me some reeeeally good arch support shoes! love them
Yesterday at church we had 2 investigators who were supposed to come, one came with ehr mom after months of saying they would. The mom is an inactive member who stopped going after her bishop some unhelpful things to her after her daughter was murdered in mexico 12 yrs ago. But she came! She felt the spirit really strong. She ended us needing to leave in the middle of sacrament. we went and found her and she was sobbing. It was so sad. That wound is still gapping and she kept saying how she has demons in her and it was terrible. I just felt so overwhelmed with love for her and testified how prayer will help her. I know that thru the Atonement despair can turn to hope. She left feeling better and said she'll come next week. we are also teaching Bay(Gabby, switched at birth!) she wants to get baptized but is having trouble being consistent and we think she might have some word of wisdom issues.
Please pray for both of them! and my feet!

So being a convert missionary makes everyone love you, like way more, haha its funny. The members do not believe in fellowshipping, like no joke, only 5 people in the ward do. So I've been testifying a lot about member missionary work and how I was converted thru members, not the full time missionaries. I think a big thing I need to do here is help the members with that. The ward is struggling a lot. With people and their many issues but also with incorrect teachings and lots of stuff. Bah! Its a lot but I'm happy to be here!
I pray that I can always be guided by the spirit and do the things Heavenly Father wants me to do.
His work really is hastening! go out and serve! love your friends and family. AND strangers! Smile often. Say kind words. Be patient with people, for everyone is fighting a battle, look with your heart
"Christ-like love can change the world" - Elder Holland
I love being a missionary! I love feeling the spirit testify thru me and seeing the change come to people as they feel it and understand. I know that faith proceeds miracles. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love everyone and that we are all truly sons and daughters of God, and brothers and sisters. I feel so much love for the people here in the Columbia Ward. Its super hot, my feet/ankles are killing me, but I keep going forward because the Gospel matters, people need it, they need to know that God loves them and that the Atonement is real.
I love you all!!!! Thanks for your prayers, love and support!!! Keep writing!!! Preferably more on dearelder.com
and thru regular mail. But emails are great too! But Its hard reading thru 45 emails every week! haha
I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

-Sister Gresham

No comments:

Post a Comment